What can I do to prepare for the ELA tests?
- Relax - you are prepared!!!!
- Take your time, read carefully, and eliminate answers.
- WRITE! To the very best of your ability! Remember the writing score is MORE THAN HALF of the total score. You are GREAT writers - show them what you know!!!!! This is not the time to downplay your abilities! You should NOT be writing less than 3 paragraphs!
- ELA Part 1 will either be a RESEARCH TASK (follow the prompt, organize information into paragraphs, have a clear thesis, quote textual evidence and EXPLAIN it.) or a LITERARY ANALYSIS. (There is a reason this is your homework every week!!!! Answer all parts of the question, provide textual evidence - including quotes, and explain it! Organize this into paragraphs!)
- ELA part 2 - IF PART 1 was RESEARCH - Part 2 will be NARRATIVE (follow the prompt, establish scenes, show don't tell, include dialogue MIXED with small actions - but not so much dialogue that it looks like a script for a play, establish a mood through the setting and the characters actions, think about when to start a new paragraph in a narrative, and have fun with it). IF PART 1 was L.A., then PART 2 will be RESEARCH TASK (follow the prompt, organize information into paragraphs, have a clear thesis, quote textual evidence and EXPLAIN it.)